Feeling bored with your current workout? Could you complete it blindfolded and without any real thought? Not breaking through to new levels of success and achievement? I’ve been there and that is why I like to mix things up.
It’s called MUSCLE CONFUSION and I have, through my years of experience and training, come to greatly appreciate the benefits of this approach. Even while in the midst of a very well planned, strategic workout program, I am developing the next strategic plan. It is rare that do a routine for more than 4 weeks and every time I mix it up, I am sore from what at the beginning often seems to be simple, basic movements. It’s as if my muscles are saying, “Hey, what the…we were used to and like the old way. What are trying to do to us?” Obviously, I’m trying to advance in my fitness journey.
With that in mind, today I offer you some muscle confusion through an efficient, power packed series of 4 movements that will help you bust through barriers, chisel your muscles and burn the fat in just three short weeks. Though it appears simple and innocent enough, I am certain that you will find this routine challenging, energizing and refreshing. Without further delay, here is the plan.
#1: Push Ups
· Beginner: Assume a standard push up position with hands slightly beyond shoulder width a apart, feet together and back straight. Lower your body until it rest just above the floor, then push back up until arms are fully extended.
· Intermediate: Same movement but this time, when pushing up ad enough force for your hands to leave the floor.
· Advanced: Hold your body in the down position for 3 seconds then explode up.
Movement #2: Reverse Lunge and Press
· Beginner: Hold a pair of dumbbells at shoulder height with palms in neutral position (facing your head). Step back with your right leg, dropping the knee to just above the floor. Then while in the lunge position, press both dumbbells straight up. Lower the dumbbells and stand back up. Repeat with opposite leg.
· Intermediate: Same movement but this time press the dumbbells up as you go into the lunge.
· Advanced: Do a reverse lunge but hold it at the bottom for 3 seconds. Then press both dumbbells up.
Movement #3: Inverted Row
· Beginner: Lie underneath a secure bar. Grab it with an overhand grip, hands shoulder width apart. Pull you body up to the bar, then lower until arms are straight.
· Intermediate: Perform the same movement but with your feet elevated on a box.
· Advanced: Perform the advanced movement but pause at the top for 3 seconds before lowering your body.
Movement #4: Squat
· Beginner: Place your hands on the back of your head. With elbows and shoulders back, feet shoulder width apart, lower your body as far down as you can while keeping your upper body upright, and face looking forward.
· Intermediate: Hold a dumbbell vertically in front of you.
· Advanced: Perform the advanced movement but hold at the bottom for 3 seconds.
Implementing The Plan:
· Week 1: perform the basic movements one after the other; 8-12 reps each movement. Repeat for 4-5 sets, 90 seconds between each set, 3 times during the week with one day between workouts.
· Week 2: perform the advanced movements with the same reps, sets, recovery and frequency.
· Week 3: perform the expert movements with the same reps, sets, recovery and frequency.
I would love to hear from you along the way and know how you are doing so fill me in from time to time!!!
Enjoy. Be safe and Be well!!
Don’t forget!!! If you need help, want to develop a custom strategy for your fitness journey, or any other ELEMENT of Wellness, just send over an email and we will join forces for your success!!" ""